82% of Disc Golfers are Millennials & Gen Z

In recent years, the age-old sport of disc golf has grown in popularity, especially among millennials and Gen Z. But just how popular is it? Let's take a look at the numbers to see what percentage of disc golfers are millennials or Gen Z compared to baby boomers.

Popularity Among Millennials and Gen Z Studies have shown that the 18-34 age group makes up 43% of all disc golfers, while those aged 35-54 account for 39%. This means that millennials and Gen Z make up nearly 82% of all disc golf players, with the remaining 18% belonging to the baby boomer generation (ages 55+). This is an increase from previous years, when millennials and Gen Z made up only about 70% of disc golfers.

The reason for this surge in popularity can be attributed to several factors:

  • Younger people are turning to outdoor activities
  • New disc golf courses opening around the world
  • Minimal equiptment required
  • Social media spreading awareness for the game

Popularity by Gender When it comes to gender ratios among disc golfers, men still make up a much larger portion than women. Studies have found that nearly 73% of all disc golfers are male while 27% are female. This is largely due to the fact that most sports—including disc golf—are traditionally viewed as masculine pursuits. However, this doesn't mean women aren't getting involved; in fact, recent studies show that participation among female players has gone up slightly over the last few years as more people become aware of its benefits. 

Disc golf has seen quite a surge in popularity over the last few years, especially among millennials and Gen Z. While men still make up a larger portion than women overall, participation rates among female players have increased steadily as more people become aware of its health benefits and fun factor. As courses continue popping up around the country and interest grows across generations young and old alike, we can expect even bigger trends toward even greater participation in coming years!

Back to blog